JUNE RECOGNITION LUNCHEON
Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 11:00 A.M.
Lakeside Country Club,
100 South Wilcrest Drive, Houston, TX 77042
We will honor the Baker-Telfer Scholarship recipients, install the new AAUW West Harris County Branch officers, and enjoy an informative presentation from Dr. Christiane Sptizmueller.
Promoting Women Faculty in STEM: Methods, Madness and (Slow) Progress
Christiane Spitzmueller is an Associate Professor of Psychology and the Managing Director for the University of Houston’s National Science Foundation ADVANCE grant. The $3.3M ADVANCE grant’s goals include the recruitment and retention of women faculty in STEM and social/behavioral science fields.
Dr. Spitzmueller’s background is in Industrial/Organizational Psychology. She has conducted research and published articles and books in top journals for Human Resource Management on topics including work-family conflict and technical training in organizations. She has consulted with organizations in the US and across the globe, including BP, ExxonMobil, Saudi Aramco and the World Health Organization.
Dr. Spitzmueller will discuss organizational challenges related to diversity initiatives and discuss pathways to promoting the benefits of a diverse workforce to organizational constituents.
The luncheon cost is $35 which includes salad, pasta entrée, dessert, coffee or tea. (If you want a gluten-free meal, let me know.) The registration and payment deadline is May 24. Make the check out to AAUW-WHC and put “spring luncheon” on the line. Please mail the check to Barbara Cook, 214 Big Hollow Lane, Houston, TX 77042.
Pat Thomsen, Program Chair
Vote NOW in AAUW National Election
- Should AAUW admit into membership those without college degrees?
- Or should the degree requirements for individual members be eliminated and membership be open to anyone who advocates AAUW’s mission?
- Do you care?
If so, you need to vote in the AAUW National Election being conducted on-line NOW through June 15!
What’s to be voted on this year?
- Bylaws Amendments, including membership requirement outlined above
- Members of AAUW Board of Directors; 13 candidates – including West Harris County’s own Traci Jensen – are running for 10 positions on Board of Directors
- Proposed Public Policy Program changes
- Resolutions on Equal Rights Amendment and Human Trafficking
For many years, you had to attend the AAUW national convention to cast your ballot. Balloting has been changed so that members can vote on-line. From the comfort of your own home, follow the steps below to cast your ballot:
- Locate your Spring 2017 AAUW Outlook magazine (has marcher with pink knit hat on cover)
- Review voter guide information in Outlook magazine
- Click on this link AAUW National Election
- Enter your AAUW Member ID and Voter PIN from back cover of Outlook magazine
- Cast your ballot ASAP, but no later than June 15 (midnight)
Please notify Joanne Lane, Corresponding Secretary, about any member news that is important to share with the membership and has been authorized to share by the member involved.
To insure that you do not miss any communications from the Branch, please send updates or corrections to your contact information to Margaret Carlson at AAUW.Margaret.Carlson@gmail.com.