No Longer in Boxes Under the Bed: AAUW WHC History
A positive vote to gift the AAUW West Harris County Branch documents to the M. D. Anderson Library at the University of Houston will have many benefits:
- Protecting our records from age-related deterioration such as yellowing paper, fading photos, drying glue and tape
- Preventing loss/misplacement of records over time
- Becoming part of an important women’s archive at a top-notch university library that already houses collections such as the Association for Women in Science, The Houston Heights Women’s Club, Houston Area NOW and Other Feminist Activities Collection, River Oaks Business Women’s Exchange Club, and many more
- In time having access to searchable, digitized documents that make available our history and accomplishments to our members and to the broader public.
The Board recommends that AAUW West Harris County Branch gift the documents created by this branch since its inception in 1976 through 2015 and annually thereafter to the University of Houston M. D. Anderson Library for archiving in the Special Collections Department’s Carey Shuart Women’s Research Collection.
This proposal, unanimously approved by the Board, will be voted on at the March 21, 2017, meeting.
Martha Ewell, Historian
JOIN WOMEN LEADING WOMEN AT THE AAUW BIENNIAL NATIONAL CONVENTION
The AAUW Juggernaut will hit Washington, D.C.
June 14 – 17, 2017
Enjoy an Eduvacation by taking this opportunity to see the sights of our nation’s capital while exchanging leadership ideas and opportunities with other AAUW members.
HELP KEEP AAUW-WHC BRANCH GOING STRONG!
The members of the Nominations Committee for AAUW-WHC Branch positions to be elected at our March, 2017 meeting are: Melba Armstrong, Cynthia Hickok, Linda Morgan and Carolyn Morris. The committee is chaired by Mary Andersen. If you wish to be a part of the future of our branch, volunteer yourself for a position or put forth the name of a member that you feel would do a good job for one of these positions:
- President-elect: a one year term followed by a one year term as Branch President
- VP for Programs: a two-year term
- Finance Officer: a two-year term
- VP for AAUW Funds: a two-year term
- Corresponding Secretary: a two-year term
The Nominations Committee will meet in early January. If you are interested in an office, know someone you think would be a good member of our leadership team, or just want more information about the available positions, contact Mary Andersen at email@example.com or any of the members of the Nominations Committee.
Mary Andersen, Nominating Committee Chair
There are many ways to gather funds to support our AAUW mission and tapping into corporate ‘pockets’ is one. Here’s some updated information for easy, painless fund raising.
Participate in the Randall’s and Kroger’s community outreach programs. Log on to each grocers’ web site or stop by their Courtesy Booth to link our AAUW-WHC number listed below to your respective card(s).
Randall’s Good Neighbors number: 1427
http://www.randalls.com/ShopStores/Good-Neighbor.page Randall’s is a one-time only card enrollment. (Last Quarter’s check: $55.55)
Kroger Community Rewards number: 16748
https://www.kroger.com/ Kroger requires you to enroll your card each year.
SmileAmazon: West Harris County Branch AAUW Expanding Your Horizons is now set up as a SmileAmazon charity. With every qualified purchase you make at Smile.Amazon.com, our Expanding Your Horizons will receive .05%. All you need to do is logon to smile.amazon.com and get started. FYI…we just received our first Smile donation of $5.52. How easy is that!!
Office Depot and Office Max
AAUW has partnered with Office Depot and Office Max to bring you a free national discount program. Members of AAUW can now save up to 80 percent off preferred products, online and in stores! You will also receive free next-day delivery on orders over $50! Print your in-store savings card by accessing the following URL. http://www.officediscounts.org/aauw.html
Free lamination of the card is included if printed online. This is an INCREDIBLE discount for printing. There are other available discounts online as well.