Baker-Telfer STEM Scholarship
Applications are now being accepted. This scholarship fund was established in memory of the sons of Arlene Baker and Carol Telfer. The awards are given to graduating female students who plan to continue college with a major in the field of science, technology, engineering and mathematics. Scholarship funds are obtained through generous donations by members and fund raising events.
Scholarship Objective: Encourage young women to pursue the fields of science,
technology, engineering, and mathematics at the university level.
Application Deadline: Electronic submission by March 30, 2020
Applicant Requirements: Must meet ALL of the following requirements:
- Female high school senior pursuing collegiate study in STEM fields with a combined
score of at least 1050 in the reading and math portions of SAT or a score of 21 on
- Must be an American citizen
- Must be enrolled as a full-time student in Alief ISD, Spring Branch ISD, or Houston ISD
- Must be applying to a four year college or university anywhere in the United States
- Must provide FAFSA form that shows parents’ income and student’s FAFSA score
- Student is ineligible for this scholarship if she has already received a full university scholarship that covers tuition, books, room and board, and transportation
Scholarship Award: A one-time scholarship per recipient of $2,000. Three scholarships will
be awarded: one from each of the school districts. Recipient is encouraged to attend and be recognized at an AAUW Awards Luncheon in May or June. Award money is sent directly to the College or University after proof of enrollment is received.
Scholarship Sponsor: American Association of University Women,
West Harris County Branch, https://aauw-whc.org
Scholarship Selection Criteria: An evaluation committee made up of board members receives the applications and selects one (1) recipient per year from each of the Alief, Houston, and Spring Branch ISDs. Winners will be notified by mail or email by the middle of May. Names of winners will be posted at http://westharriscounty-tx.aauw.net/about/scholarships.
To access the online application, interested students will click the link below to open the
application in Survey Monkey. You must have the documents listed below ready to upload and in .pdf format. You must be able to complete the application in one session.
Before beginning, be sure you have a .pdf version of:
- An official high school transcript
- Your SAT and/or ACT scores
- Your FAFSA score
- A resumé detailing your high school activities, including honors or recognitions you have received
- An essay of no more than 250 words describing your educational goals and career aspirations for the future. This must be written before you start the application.
Completing the Application
Remember: you must be able to complete the application in one session. You must have all required documents created and in .pdf format ready to upload. In addition to those required .pdf documents, you must be able to enter the contact information for your parent/guardian, a list of any additional awards or scholarships you have recently received, and a list of all colleges/universities to which you have applied.
Click this link to start the survey: https://tinyurl.com/Baker-TelferAAUWscholarship
Link to AAUW_Work Smart
Member News Notification
Please notify Suzanne Dalati, Corresponding Secretary, at firstname.lastname@example.org, about any member news that is important to share with the membership and has been authorized to share by the member involved.
To insure that you do not miss any communications from the Branch, please send updates or corrections to your contact information to Mary Andersen at AAUW.Mary.Andersen@gmail.com